Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Enjoy it While it Lasts"

I was, I am, I will be
I used to sing out loud but now I sing in my head.
I used to think I was the best but now I need to beat the best.
I used to sit and dream but now I multi-task.
I used to play in the mud but now I strive to keep clean.
I used to be afraid of waiters but now I can ask for anything.


Now I am afraid but one day I will be fearless.
Now I think I can't, but one day I will be unstoppable.
Now I resent my mother but one day I will be as strong and beautiful as she is.

This is the poem I wrote in American Studies today. We constructed poems based on two formats, the "I used to ... but now I..." and the "Now I ... but one day I..." formats. These poems illustrated who we were and how we re-told our stories, and re-created ourselves from our memories. We were asked to read some lines that we were exceptionally proud of. Many of the lines that were read dealt with different extremes of the American philosophy.

 For example in line two of my poem, I illustrated the need to be the best not only is it an emotion I've struggled to understand but, this is an extremely American value. As a kid I could play to play, not play to win. Sure I'd play and think I was the best, but whether or not I really was didn't really matter as long as I was entertained. But as I grew older, not only is being the best important but  if you aren't the best then you didn't try hard enough. That's a mantra that parents have often drilled into the children of America.

Another thing my parents have tried to encourage is not wasting time. Children are allowed to day dream and fantasize. However as they grow older they're forced to live in reality, in constant worry for what's to come. Americans frown upon any minute that is "wasted" not planning for tomorrow or doing something else that is productive.

My overall conclusion was that Americans value their childhood. We value our childhood because it allowed them to have fun and think they were the best with out having to push to be the best. We value our childhood because we could live for today, not plan for tomorrow. We value our childhood because it allowed us to live a calmer, slower, less stressful life that is unique to America and perhaps adds to it's ever busy mentality. So kids, enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment