Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I'm Still A Guy

So I was inspired to write a blog analyzing this song, I'm Still A Guy by Brad Paisley, after seeing it on a colleague of mine, Natalie. I saw it on her blog, where she connected it to "White Noise" a book that we read in class. Natalie analyzed the song by drawing a parallel to the stereotypical aggression shown in both the song and a passage in "White Noise".

However I wanted to look at the lines "With all of these men lining up to get neutered. It's hip now to be feminized. I don't highlight my hair I've sitll got a pair yeah honey, I'm still a guy." I think that it is so interesting that Paisley chose to use the word "feminized" to describe men that are getting highlights. The phrase "men lining up to get neutered" is suggesting that today men are loosing their masculinity and not to get highlights and turn to more feminine things. This song over all is suggesting that the gender stereotypes are still alive and should be more enforced.

I think that this relates to the "Newsweek" piece that we saw in class the other day. The objectification of the women in the picture and the sexiness of her pose illustrate that the idea perception of  women is primarily based on sexiness and submissiveness. The  "Newsweek"  piece also shows that gender stereotypes, although subtle, are very much a prominent part of our society and  continue fuel many of the "sexist" trends in America.


Why do you think that these gender stereotypes continue to survive despite the changing times and trends? What do you think will stop these gender stereotypes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment