Sunday, February 5, 2012

Shirt

The shirt I researched.
A shirt is a garment that every single person in America has worn at some point in his/her life. But how often do we stop to think about our shirt? Where it came from? Who made it? When it was made? Under what conditions was it made? But over the weekend while I was doing some living I was forced to think about that for an assignment in American Studies. 

It turns out my shirt was manufactured in Dhaka, Bangladesh in a factory called "That's It". The working conditions are poor and the hours are unreasonably long.This factory has had 200 fires that have killed 600 women in the last six years. The doors were locked, similar to the Triangle Factory fire and  (Source : The Dartmouth

I couldn't believe I was so unaware of the sweatshop labor that made my shirt. I honestly don't remember ever thinking about where my shirt came from or who made it. I had always just assumed that it was done humanely in some sort of safe environment. 

That is the problem. We have fixed what we can see. A result of the highly publicized Triangle Factory fire was legislation crafted by President Franklin Roosevelt's Secretary of Labor, Frances Perkins. Perkins created the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938 which protects American workers therefore the working conditions in America are all safe and humane. (Source: The Dartmouth)

But simply because we cannot see the cruelties overseas does not mean that we should be ignorant and let them slide. It is our duty as fellow human beings to ensure that we are all treated humanely so we should not turn a blind eye simply because it will be easier. This happens a lot in our society but seriously once you are aware of a problem you should fix it not let it continue because you are not directly related to the problem. 
What are some other problems that you think have slid by?

No comments:

Post a Comment